Thursday, January 29, 2009

Tired of the snow!

Once again, there was no school today because of the ice/snow. This is the third snow day in a row and I am giddy in anticipation of school resuming tomorrow. There's nothing better than seeing that big yellow bus coming down the road!

Tomorrow is supposed to be a nicer day, so I'll spend my time chopping firewood. We don't have natural gas around here; if you want to heat with gas, it's propane. When I bought my house (a doublewide mobile home), I couldn't afford to get a propane tank, so I decided to heat with wood until I could save up enough for propane to fuel my furnace. Four years later, I'm still heating with wood.

The good thing about heating with wood is that it's cheap. My house is usually 75-78 degrees inside. My electric bill is about $60/month and the wood I burn comes from trees in my yard (one acre). We had to cut down about 100 trees to clear a spot for my mobile home when I bought my land. It sure beats the $200/month heating bill I used to pay when I lived in the city!

The bad thing about heating with wood is when it's really cold outside, I can't leave my house for more than 10-12 hours at a time, or it will be freezing inside when I return. I have to feed the wood stove every 6-8 hours to keep the house warm.

When I win the lottery, I'm going to buy a propane tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment